Under the Agreement on Dual Citizenship concluded between the FRY and BiH (“Official Gazette of the FRY”, International Agreements No. 2/03, entered into force on May 15, 2003), the contracting states agreed that a citizen of one contracting state may acquire the citizenship of the other contracting state (dual citizenship) under the following conditions:
- Having reached 18 years of age.
- Having registered residence on the territory of the contracting state whose citizenship they are acquiring for at least three years, or at least one year if married to a citizen of that contracting state.
- Not having been convicted of criminal offenses for which a prison sentence of over three years is prescribed in the contracting state whose citizenship they are acquiring.
- Not having been subject to the security measure of expulsion from the foreigner’s country for the last three years before submitting the request or the protective measure of distancing a foreigner from the territory of the contracting state whose citizenship they are acquiring.
- Demonstrating behavior that suggests they will respect the legal order of the contracting state whose citizenship they are acquiring.
A citizen of the contracting state who has resided abroad and has been married to a citizen of the other contracting state for at least three years may acquire the citizenship of the other contracting state if they meet the conditions stated in points 1, 3, 4, and 5 above.
To submit the application, the following is required:
- Extract from the birth registry (for persons born abroad, it is necessary to attach the original extract from the birth registry of the country of birth).
- Certificate of citizenship of BiH (original or certified copy, not older than 6 months).
- Extract from the marriage registry (original or certified copy, not older than 6 months).
- Certificate of citizenship of the Republic of Serbia of the spouse.
- Proof of residence (if the person is submitting the request on the territory of the Republic of Serbia).
- Copy of identification documents with a photograph.
- Payment receipt generated on the eGovernment portal.
The competent authority, with the consent of the applicant, may obtain data from official records:
- Proof of residence on the territory of the Republic of Serbia.
- Information about the personal status of citizens (birth registry, marriage registry, and death registry).
- Records of citizens of the Republic of Serbia – a certificate of citizenship of the Republic of Serbia.
- As well as other data necessary for decision-making from other official records maintained by the competent authorities of the Republic of Serbia.
If the applicant wishes, they can obtain the mentioned documents themselves and attach them to the submitted request.