If you’ve ever wondered how to secure Serbian citizenship, you might be surprised to learn about a unique scenario outlined in Article 44 of Serbian Law. This provision caters to individuals who have acquired Serbian citizenship but find themselves in an exceptional situation – they aren’t officially registered in the birth registry or Serbian citizen records, maintained according to previous regulations.
So, what should you do if you fall into this category or know someone who does? We’ll walk you through the process, step by step.
The Requirements: What You Need
To initiate the process, there are several key documents and steps you need to follow:
1. Birth Registry Extract: If you were born abroad, obtaining the original birth registry extract from your country of birth is crucial. This document serves as proof of your birth.
2. Proof of Existing Citizenship: If you possess citizenship from former Yugoslav republics, you’ll need to provide documentation indicating when and how you acquired this citizenship.
3. Copy of a Valid Identification Document: This typically involves providing a copy of an identification document with your photograph, such as a passport or ID card.
4. Proof of Serbian Parent’s Citizenship: If you were born on Serbian territory, you’ll need a certificate confirming the citizenship of at least one of your parents at the time of your birth. In case both parents were Serbian citizens, a certificate for just one parent is sufficient.
5. Evidence of Previous Citizenship Presumption: This can be demonstrated through documents such as earlier municipal decisions granting you citizenship under the previous legal framework.
6. eGovernment Portal Payment Receipt: Generate this receipt on the eGovernment portal, which is necessary for processing your application.
7. Note on Data Retrieval: In some cases, competent authorities may require additional information from official records. This could include details regarding personal status (birth, marriage, and death records), information about Serbian citizenship, or other essential data. If needed, the authorities can retrieve this data with your consent.
How to Apply
To begin the process of determining your Serbian citizenship, follow these steps:
- Compile all the necessary documents as listed above.
- Submit your application, including the collected documents, to the relevant authorities.
- Wait for the authorities to review your case and make a decision.
- Ensure that your application includes the payment receipt from the eGovernment portal.
A Path to Serbian Citizenship
This special case provision in Serbian law is designed to provide a path to citizenship for those who have acquired it but face registration challenges. By following the outlined steps and providing the required documentation, you can move closer to securing your Serbian citizenship.
Remember, if you need assistance or additional information, the competent authorities can help you navigate the process. Serbian citizenship could be closer than you think, even in special circumstances.